How To Pack Lampshades For Moving
You should first remove the lamp harp as well as any light bulbs from the lamp base. Then you wrap the harp, base, and bulbs all separately in what you have for packing, which is commonly old newspapers. If you have larger sized lamps that will not be put into a box, you should use paper pads and tape them around the lamp base. You should take each of the pieces of the lamp and place them together into your box, and if you have extra space within the box, you need to fill in the area with crumpled newspaper or plastic bags. Here is more in-depth steps to how to pack lampshades.
Steps on Packing Lamp Bases
- Step One: You need to completely disassemble the whole lamp not leaving any part together that can be separated.
- Step Two: You should throw away any incandescent bulb that you remove from it because of how easily they can break while you move. Now, if you were using LED or CFL bulbs, you can take those with you when you move as long as they are wrapped in strong material, such as bubble wrap. You should make sure the bulbs are packed with other fragile items though to keep them safe from damage.
- Step Three: You need to completely secure the power cord of the lamp. It as well as the base of the lamp need to be wrapped up tight and secure to prevent scratches from happening.
- Step Four: The harp and the finial that you removed from the lamp should be wrapped up tight using packing paper. You should label them when you are done to make sure they can be easily put back together properly when you are done moving.
- Step Five: You should use paper pads to wrap up the base of the lamp, and always make sure you tape it off to secure it. Now, if you are wondering what a paper pad is, it is a multilayered paper that is made for wrapping around fragile items to protect them from harm. After the lamp is wrapped securely, all you have to do is place it into the box, but you should always make sure to put it into the box in an upright position.
Basics on Packing Lampshades
You should never wrap your lampshades in anything but especially not a newspaper. The ink from the newspaper can bleed onto the lampshade and permanently damage the linen material the lampshade is made out of. The best options to wrap your lampshade in are tissue paper, lightweight towels, or pillowcases.
A good way to get just the right box for packing up your lampshade is to measure its height and width but pick a box that is two inches larger in height and width. The box has to be lined with crushed paper for the lampshade to sit on within the box, and this creates a nice protective bubble for your lampshade to sit within. Make sure your paper does not go around the lampshade though because the ink can harm the lampshade. While it is usually advised against putting more then one lampshade into a box, if you have a smaller one and a larger one, you can package the smaller one inside the larger one. You have to make sure it is completely secure and will not bounce around though. If the lampshades are silk though, it is not smart to package more then one in a box. This is because the silk can easily be stretched out. You should never include any other items within the box with the lampshade to prevent the shade from being damaged.
Steps on Packing Lampshades
- Step One: You should first make sure you have a box that is just big enough to fit only the lampshade within it. You do not want to pack anything else with your lampshade or risk damaging it easily. Once you have the right-sized box, line it with crumpled paper to prevent the lampshade from moving around.
- Step Two: You next put the lampshade carefully into the box, and you should never put more than one lampshade into one box.
- Step Three: After the lampshade is securely placed into the box, you need to fill in the rest of the box with crumpled paper. This will ensure the lampshade does not move in any way during the move.
- Step Four: The next thing you need to do is carefully close the box without crushing the lampshade in any way. Once the box is securely closed, you need to tape the box up tight with packing tape.
- Step Five: Before you move on to doing anything else, you need to label the box so you can keep straight what is in the box. You should always mark any box containing a lampshade as fragile to prevent anything from being laid on top of it.
Contact Us Today
You can contact us as soon as today and get a quote for the moving job that you need to be done, and we offer a range of Top Rated Moving Services. You can get access to our great packages for your moving job, and these vary from simply loading and moving the items to a new location to loading and putting the items into storage if needed. Top Rated Moving Services offers many Resources to make your more a smoother experience like packing & unpacking, storage, and move-in & move-out cleaning. If you cannot handle the packing, we can do it for you. If you need help unpacking after the move, we can also help you with this. If you cannot have the items immediately delivered for some reason, we can store the items and them bring them when you are ready for them. As for any boxes that will be laying around after you have unpacked everything, you can have them hauled away once you are completely done unpacking everything.