How to Move Safely During Covid-19
The Best Ways To Move To A New Location During The COVID Pandemic
Before You Move
1) Find a safe and secure moving company to help you. You might have chosen one of the top rated moving services, but are reliable and secure? The two are not always mutually exclusive.
Ask the company what precautions are they putting in place, and not just about your belongings. The moving company staff have to take your health and well-being into account. Ask them about a list of questions and answers that address what happens during the COVID pandemic. They should have one.
2) What about your quote? Find out if they do a virtual online quote process. That will eliminate the need for you to be there in person. Some of you might want to try one of those virtual moving tools. You can get your quote by doing an online chat or video conference. That way you can talk through any concerns before you move.
3) Some of you might have decided to postpone the move due to COVID. That is understandable. Find out if the company has a refund process. Ask if they do delays in moving.
You might not be able to make your move right now due to COVID. You need a backup plan. Ask them which numbers are best to contact them when you do decide to move. You also should ask them about a timeline for rescheduling. Some companies request a month’s notice or more. It is best to find out now before you end up losing money before you move.
4) Normally, you might hire a cleaning staff to clean and disinfect your home before you pack up and move. That might not be one of the best decisions right now. You should handle the cleaning yourself. Treat your house the way you would your office. Clean and disinfect all surfaces. Have hand sanitizer ready, and available.
There are proper instructions on the CDC site(or at least there should be). The CDC can give you guidelines on what to clean and disinfect and how. Always have your cleaning products out and ready(especially if you have people coming over).
Let’s say that you do have a few people from the moving company coming over to check a few things out first. Always insist on masks. You and the others should be wearing masks at all times, and practice social distancing. You could become infected without knowing it before you move.
1) Do not shake the person’s hand or hands right now. No, it is not rude. You are protecting yourself and them. Smile and say hi to the movers. Ask them to put on their masks. You would be surprised at how many people are not wearing masks right now.
2) Let’s talk about the social distancing for a second. Not enough people are practicing true social distancing. It is bad enough when you know the person, but how about when you do not know the person?
You do not know the moving company personnel. You do not know their story. They are only here to help you move. Please stay at least six-feet apart from each other.
You also need to stop yourself from getting involved. Some of you might be control freaks. You feel the need to micro-manage everything that happens. Why did you hire someone if that is the case? Let them do their work free of opinions from you.
Do you have any family members that are vulnerable? Keep them in a separate area. The one thing we have learned(from the pandemic) is that it attacks those who are older and much younger. That means any senior citizens or young children in the family need to keep away. It is dangerous for them to be involved.
You never know someone’s medical history. One of the movers could infect your young child without you knowing it. We are not saying that to scare you either. We are telling you that to keep your safe. There are studies that have already concluded this information. It has been documented by the medical experts. Pay attention to the science, nothing else.
3) Once again, listen and pay attention to what the medical experts and scientists say during this pandemic. These men and women are the official authority concerning the pandemic. Wash hands. Read up on CDC protocols and other medical experts.
They might have some pertinent information about your move you need to know about.
4) What happens if you or your family have been exposed to the virus before your move is complete? Talk to the moving company. Find out what they think you should do. We cannot answer those questions for you. You do need to mention it though. That is essential.
After The Move
1) Once again, disinfect and clean everything(even items that have been encased in boxes the whole time. We are living through a global pandemic right now. You cannot take any chances. Wear gloves if you need to. Also, you need to dispose of your boxes and packages right away. Do not keep them around for future use.
2) You should also disinfect and clean all the surfaces in your new home. You do not know who lived there last. You do not know the condition of their health. Disinfect and clean everything from door knobs to stairwells. Ask someone in authority about how to dispose of your empty boxes once your items are put away. Don’t like cleaning? Top Rated Moving Services provides Cleaning Services.
Listen, we are talking about something that is along the line of the 1917-1918 pandemic that happened. Millions of people died before the pandemic was under control. We are repeating history in many ways. so we need to know how to move safely during Covid-19 and ask questions as needed with Top Rated Moving Services
Good luck with your move!